Anastasia: The Musical, a stage adaptation of the wonderful NON-Disney animated film of the same name, just opened on Broadway this week. While Walt Disney may hold a monopoly on animated film musicals today, that hasn’t always been the case. Back in the late 1980s and 1990s, multiple film studios tried their hand at producing feature-length animated musicals. Most of these movies failed to reach the commercial and artistic heights of their Disney renaissance counterparts, but that doesn’t mean they’ve been forgotten (as evidenced by Anastasia). In fact, many millennials like myself look back at these NON-Disney gems with the same fondness and reverence as we do Disney animated classics like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.
The next time you or your student consider bringing a well-known Disney tune into an audition, consider whether one of these NON-Disney musical numbers might be a better fit instead!
P.S. If you need further assistance finding repertoire for yourself or for your students, make sure to ‘like’ the Kevin Michael Jones Voice Studio & Repertoire Services page on Facebook!
1. “Journey to the Past” from Anastasia (1997)
2. “When You Believe” from The Prince of Egypt (1998)
3. “Far Longer Than Forever” from The Swan Princess (1994)
4. “I Stand Alone” from Quest for Camelot (1998)
5. “Let Me Be Your Wings” from Thumbelina (1994)
6. “Don’t Tell Me Lies” from Cats Don’t Dance (1997)
7. “Someday Out of the Blue” from The Road to El Dorado (2000)
8. “Somewhere Out There” from An American Tail (1986)
9. “You Know Better Than I” from Joseph King of Dreams (2000)