Hello, everyone! Kevin here. Today, I’m thrilled to introduce an exciting new resource for performers, teachers, coaches, and directors alike. I have just completed work on the first edition of a brand new repertoire guide: Contemporary Musical Theatre Songs for ‘Legit’ Sopranos & Mezzos. This guide features over 300(!) carefully selected musical theatre songs for ‘legit’ sopranos and mezzos from the 1990s through today. Songs are drawn from Broadway and Off-Broadway musicals, revues, films, solo albums, and more. Several valuable bits of information are included for each song like show title, songwriter(s), tempo, type, musical style, and suggested sheet music location (see example page below).
What does ‘legit’ mean here? Essentially, the pieces in this guide are intended to be sung in either head register or a light mix (aka not belted). Some songs err toward classical music styles– while others have more of a contemporary pop-driven feel. There is so much heavy belting in musical theatre today that it can be difficult locating contemporary pieces that aren’t intended to be belted, but they do exist! The songs in this guide are also good for classical singers looking to ‘dip their toes’ into musical theatre. Keep reading for more information, and check out the Baritone & Tenor version of this guide here. P.S. Need more help finding musical theatre repertoire to sing? Check out all my professional repertoire guides here.
This guide is available in both standalone and bundle pricing packages (listed below in U.S. dollar amount):
- STANDARD: $14.99 (includes a PDF guide with over 300 songs for Legit Women’s Voices)
- DELUXE: $22.99 (includes a PDF guide with over 300 songs for Legit Women’s Voices + a companion Spotify playlist* with cast recordings of songs for immediate audio reference)
- STANDARD BUNDLE: $25.99 (includes PDF guides for both the Legit Women’s Voices and Legit Men’s Voices guides) *$4.00 overall savings*
- DELUXE BUNDLE: $39.99 (includes PDF guides for both the Legit Women’s Voices and Legit Men’s Voices guides + companion Spotify playlists* for both guides) *$6.00 overall savings*
Here are a few sample pages from this guide for reference (click to enlarge). NOTE: The black bars on this page are included here only to prevent stealing. They do NOT appear in purchased copies of the guide.
* SPOTIFY DISCLAIMER: Payments made here are NOT for the playlists/recordings themselves (which are free and accessible via a standard free Spotify account). Rather, payments are exclusively for my hours of service crafting and curating these playlists. I claim no ownership over these recordings and/or playlists. Availability of individual recordings in playlists is based on Spotify’s library.
To purchase this guide, select your desired package below then click ‘Purchase’. You’ll receive download links immediately after payment! More information about the Legit Men’s Voices guide is available here. Have more questions first? Check out the MTR Repertoire Guide FAQs page.
Looking for more great premium MTR resources? Check out the MTR Store page. Also, make sure to ‘like’ the Kevin Michael Jones Voice Studio & Repertoire Services Facebook page for exciting updates and exclusive deals!
Incredible, thank you for this!! I look forward to digging through this and finding new rep for my students.
This is amazing – thank you!
Kevin Michael, you’ve done it again! You are my hero!
These musicals are really enjoyable. Especially, Nothing Has Changed, and I Never Dreamed by Anna Karenina. These are incredible.
Thanks a lot Ken, quite a treasure 🙂
Okay, where is The Phantom of the Opera?
“All songs are from the year 1990-present.” 🙂