There are many situations where musical theatre performers will need to be at least somewhat versed in standard classical vocal repertoire. For example, some actors will sing in operettas and operas throughout their careers (Gilbert & Sullivan, anyone?). Certain auditions for schools, artist programs, and legit-oriented musicals will also ask to hear classical pieces. For these reasons and others, I wanted to put together a general-purpose classical repertoire resource that will be useful to both performers and teachers.
Enter Spotify! I have crafted Spotify playlists featuring professional recordings of standard classical pieces. These playlists are grouped together into ‘packs’ based on voice type (i.e. ‘Soprano Pack’, ‘Mezzo-Soprano Pack’, etc.). Each pack features recordings of songs from the following popular classical songbooks/anthologies:
- Gilbert & Sullivan for Singers (Hal Leonard)
- Arias for _____ (G. Schirmer/Hal Leonard)
- Standard Vocal Literature (Hal Leonard)
- The First Book of Solos, Complete Parts I-III (G. Schirmer/Hal Leonard)
- Twenty-Four Italian Songs & Arias (G. Schirmer/Hal Leonard)
For example, the ‘Soprano Pack’ contains Spotify playlists with professional recordings of pieces from these songbooks:
- Gilbert & Sullivan for Singers – Soprano
- Arias for Sopranos
- Standard Vocal Literature – Soprano
- The First Book of Soprano Solos (Complete Parts I-III)
- Twenty-Four Italian Songs & Arias
Playlists are available to purchase in the following pricing packages (listed here in USD):
- ALL Playlist Packs for All Voice Types: $29.99 *BEST DEAL!*
- Soprano Playlists Pack: $9.99
- Mezzo-Soprano Playlists Pack: $9.99
- Tenor Playlists Pack: $9.99
- Baritone Playlists Pack: $9.99
- Bass Playlists Pack: $9.99
Here is a sample playlist to peruse. This one includes professional recordings of pieces found in the songbook, Arias for Mezzo-Soprano. You’ll need at least a free Spotify account to listen to full versions of songs.
DISCLAIMER: Recordings in these playlists are based on Spotify’s library. I tried to include recordings with generally appropriate performers/keys based on the playlist in question. Depending on recording availability, you may hear an occasional soprano singing in a bass playlist, etc. Some playlists are also missing a few pieces here and there due to recordings being unavailable on Spotify at this time.
Ready to start listening? Select your desired playlists below then click ‘Purchase’. You’ll receive download links immediately after payment!
Looking for more great premium MTR resources? Check out the MTR Store page. Also, make sure to ‘like’ the Kevin Michael Jones Voice Studio & Repertoire Services Facebook page for exciting updates and exclusive deals!